Yum, cookies can be so under-rated sometimes! Why not use this valentines day as an opportunity to treat the one you love as well as your tastebuds?
250g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups plain flour
See icing post for icing ingredients
1. Combine sugar, flour and butter in a bowl and mix until you have a crumbly mixture that is similar to bread crumbs.
2. Add the egg and vanilla extract to the mixture and mix well kneading with your hands until you have a smooth doughy mixture. Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
4. Working on a well floured surface roll a handball of dough into a ball, kneading it and working out any air bubbles
5. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 5mm thickness. Using a hear cookie cutter, cut out shapes from the dough. Continue to re-roll and cut more hearts out from any dough scraps
6. Lay the heart cookie shapes onto a lined baking tray leaving about 1-2cm between them.
7. Bake cookies for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Stand for 2 minutes and then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
8. Please refer to this blog post for the Royal Icing Recipe – I used 3 shades of pink and 1 shade of white, and created these by adding different droplets of pink food colouring into 4 little bowls.
9. Ensure that the icing is thick enough and using an icing pipe, draw an outline around each of the cookies (you need thick icing so that it doesn’t run off the edges)
10. Add a few drops of water to the icing so that it becomes a bit runnier and then flood the cookies between the outlines you did earlier.
11. To add extra detail, use thicker icing to go over the icing a 2nd time. You want the thicker icing so that it doesn’t all run together and become a big ol blub of icing. I did a few different variations below, and even used some hundreds and thousands to spruce them up.
Let the icing dry and then put the cookies out for your special loved one to enjoy!
mmmmm if there is anytime to over-indulge just a little bit on cookies – it’s definitely with these!! Hope you enjoy them!! Love Megs x